• Those Who Ignore Geography Shall Shiver in the Dark   10 years 48 weeks ago

Robin

No, there is no island with a lake on the lake. But Greyhawk's 'Nyr Dyv' is also known as 'The Lake of Unknown Depths.' The map shows the lakes underwater contours! However, the copy I've found does not indicate what the contout intervals are, so I suppose they can still call it the lake of unknown depths ;)

Neil

• Those Who Ignore Geography Shall Shiver in the Dark   10 years 48 weeks ago

Robin

Neil

• Accents - HârnMakers views?   10 years 49 weeks ago

I think they not only look nice, they help ensure people know how to pronounce unusual words properly.

I actually have a different concern - the lack of use of English terms to describe features on maps. I think "mountains", "hills", "sea", etc should be used rather than "local" language(s). This problem will become more prevalent when we deal with multi-lingual areas...

At the very least we should provide both English and *local* labels.

A by-product of greater use of English descriptive labels is a reduced use of accents...

---------------------
    Fástred al Beréma,
    Rówanti al Sávè-k’nôr

• How is player character creation usually perfomed in your gaming group?   10 years 49 weeks ago

Sad, but true.

I set up this ~beautiful~ plot line, and open up hordes of potential paths (action and political) for them to explore... and what do they do? They party wipe.

Again.

::sigh::

I try to enforce my self-rule that I won't penalize players for outsmarting me... but I won't save them from their own stupidity either. ;-)

• Those Who Ignore Geography Shall Shiver in the Dark   10 years 49 weeks ago

A comment on your article. I agree for the most part about contours however I don't know if terrian shading is really clear enough to do the job. I think your original scheme of using fill for terrain was an excellent compromise and still a better one than relief shading.

The other approach I think would be good (I forget the style's name) is the hatching (?) used on many military maps in the 19th century and in text books today. It has some of the advantage of contour maps without the hassle of picking a contour scale and having to draw every dame line in.

The main problem I see with that style is the hatching itself being so dark would not easily allow other colors to be drawn on top of it (or under). Perhaps with the alpha channel/transparency avaliable that can be overcome.

• Those Who Ignore Geography Shall Shiver in the Dark   10 years 49 weeks ago

• HârnMakers & Confidentiality   10 years 49 weeks ago

I am in full agreement with Robin on this.

It bugs the snot out of me to see people gossiping one one of the message boards about products which may or may not ever see the light of day.

If something is in on clear course towards publication, and one can even make a half decent guess when publication will occur (particuarly if it's in the next 2-3 months), then that's fine. In that case I don't have much trouble with mentioning that it's coming out.

Otherwise, I think it does a dis-service to both KP and to the consumer to be talking about products which are nowhere near publication, assuming that they are even on course to being published.

I'd cite as particularly problematic one kingdom article which has been "under development" for more than a couple years and which several times saw active discussion on the HarnForum. Talk about raising unreasonable expectations, that one was doing so.

• Accents - HârnMakers views?   10 years 49 weeks ago

I find the accents a major pain in the posterior when working on canon material.

It also bugs the heck out of me when I look at KP canon and find inconsistent accenting. For example, look at the Chel-Gelt A.K. map folio and check out the accenting on "Jarind". It's not the same throughout.

Although I am not doing much in the way of working on canon of late, I will note that in the one major project that I was working on late last year and early this year, I deliberately went in and wiped all the accents. It made my life a lot easier afterwards.

• Accents & Pronunciation   10 years 49 weeks ago

In my local area we started Harn without any knowledge of pronunciation. And we have since discovered that many words are mis-pronounced, but its so ingrained that if someone started saying them correctly now, we would not understand what was being said. Even though it adds to the feel of a high class setting, for the linguistacly challenged its a put off.

• Accents & Pronunciation   10 years 49 weeks ago

• Accents - HârnMakers views?   10 years 49 weeks ago

I think that accents in the text itself (including headings) and on maps and such are somewhat distracting and make reading more difficult (which is never a good thing). I also believe that they have quite a negative impact on writing speed. However, I agree that guidelines on pronunciation are very useful.

I agree with Ken that we should leave accents off the actual text (and maps) of future products and instead add pronunciation guides to all products. Those would NOT ONLY feature accents but also phonetic spellings (like in HârnPlayer).

• Accents & Pronunciation   10 years 49 weeks ago

While I find accents *do* help me grok the sound of the names and so on, it concerns me that many folk find them a turn-off.

A glossary of pronunciation has been suggested, but I can't help feeling that this is something technology ought to be able to solve. Is there some way that PDF documents can be generated such that, through switchable fonts or some such, the reader can turn accents on or off?

• Accents & Pronunciation   10 years 49 weeks ago

• Ivinia and Shorkyne   10 years 49 weeks ago

I would like to see Ivinia, Orbaal and Harbaal (other than what is included in Chelemby) detailed more thoroughly

While Ivinia was decent, it could use considerable development, partucularly in places like Ibanvaal, Rogna and Selbenvaal.

The level detail with what has been done with Chelemby is excellent.

Whilst I suspect other cities will not be done in anywhere near as much detail as chelemby, I still want to see major cities like Fuhreling etc detailed in some way.

• Ivinia and Shorkyne   10 years 49 weeks ago

The level detail with what has been done with Chelemby is excellent.

• Ivinia and Shorkyne   10 years 49 weeks ago

You're spot on with that, mate. My answer would be Hurisea.

• Ivinia and Shorkyne   10 years 49 weeks ago

You're spot on with that, mate. My answer would be Hurisea.

• Those Who Ignore Geography Shall Shiver in the Dark   10 years 49 weeks ago

I suppose I could have mentioned lakes under the water stuff in my Penny Arcane...

My understanding is that lakes should (as a rule) have between zero and one (inclusive) riverine exits.

Did the lake of which you speak also have an island with another lake in it? Just wondering ;)

• Those Who Ignore Geography Shall Shiver in the Dark   10 years 49 weeks ago

• Accents & Pronunciation   10 years 49 weeks ago

As an English speaker I use a language that doesn’t use accents. While I have no particularly strong feelings about them myself, I don’t use them and I can remember many discussions on the HârnForum over the years on their use, or, as many see it, their overuse.

I’m fairly ignorant of accents. I pronounce Shorkyne and Shorkeenay because that’s what it says in the module. The accents don’t help. I pronounce Jedes as JEDD-ess (accent on the first part. This may be wrong. I heard Kerry pronounce it Jeeds at HârnCon. Is he wrong? Am I? Does it matter?

I skip past the accents, if I read that Melderyn is pronounced MEL-duh-reen, I may well remember, and pronounce it that way. It would not, however matter if it was spelt Melderyn, Méldèryn or Mèļđęŕŷň

What concerns me most about the accents is that a lot of folk on the HârnForum have said that they don’t like them.

I’ve also heard them described as ‘pretentious’, which in my opinion is a bad thing.

Neil

• Accents & Pronunciation   10 years 49 weeks ago

Neil

• Those Who Ignore Geography Shall Shiver in the Dark   10 years 49 weeks ago

Neil, I'd say that your are correct about the two exit lake. You can have lots of rivers flowing into a lake, but multiple exits? hmm...

---------------------
    Fástred al Beréma,
    Rówanti al Sávè-k’nôr

• Those Who Ignore Geography Shall Shiver in the Dark   10 years 49 weeks ago

---------------------
    Fástred al Beréma,
    Rówanti al Sávè-k’nôr

I never kill characters..the players do that for me!

I haven't killed a character off in years, so it's difficult for me to answer this, but when I create characters i try to set aside an hour or so for a pre-game