• Trade 101   11 years 45 weeks ago

Any depots which may or may not be scattered around the islands of the Gulf of Edérwyn and elsewhere, would exist to provide logistical support (in most cases) for the movement of seagoing vessels, which may or may not need them... if they are there... not that I'm saying they are there.

There... that seems clear enough to me :)

• Trade 101   11 years 45 weeks ago

I'll make a start, at least on your disquisition of huge questions. You seem to have managed to isolate and expose some very major issues. Well done that man!

Cornering Markets

Markets are notoriously difficult to corner. The basic idea, of course, is to buy up all of a particular kind of comodity and, having achieved a kind of monopoly, to raise prices through the roof. This is not the only way to exploit a cornered market: another way is to *selectively* limit supply. In Chélemby, they import wool. If one were to buy up the whole supply of wool from nearby ports, one might deprive a competitor of the materials needed to run her/his clothier's establishment. Without wool, the clothier might not be able to operate.

On a smaller scale, a clever mercantyler might simply buy up vital supplies as they arrive on the docks. Either way, cutting off supplies or adjusting prices can have interesting effects.

Buying up Notes

Chéler Clans often write substantial promisory notes. It is the quickest way to finance large transactions. Sometimes they hand over other people's notes, or what have you. Promisory notes almost work like paper money among the 'high rollers' of the City.

Most notes get discounted now and then. If someone thinks the issuer won't be able to pay, s/he might not be willing to buy it for face value.

Sometimes when a note holder tries to redeem a not with its issuer, the issuer will not have enough cash or ready negotiables and might ask the would-be redeemer to wait. In exchange for this, the issuer might make a bonus payment or write an additional note. (Going further into debt to avoid paying back an outstanding debt.)

It is quite common for usurers/mercantylers (tianalari clans) to purchase other people's notes, usually at a discount, when they have 'spare cash'. This is a good way to make substantial profits, if one has cash to spare or is willing to write notes of ones own).

Example: Joe needs cash to buy a shipment of wool and doesn't have any readies... He goes to Charlie and borrows £10, Writing a note for £11 that will be due the following month.

When the due date rolls around, Charlie comes to Joe and asks for his £11, but Joe can't pay because the wool fell in the harbour and he couldn't sell it for £20 like he had planned... at least not until it dries out (things like this happen all the time... maybe the buyer backed out... maybe the buyer was conning Joe... who knows?)

Anyway, Joe says "I can't pay now, give me another month... here's a £1 bonus (in cash)"
    Charlie accepts the cash keeps the note for £11 (which is now due) and goes home.

Fred is ticked off at Joe and hears about the deal with Charlie. Fred goes to Charlie tells him a story about how Joe has had deals go bad all over the place. Charlie listens to the story, and gets worried. Mentions that he's holding a note from Joe. Fred acts surprised and sympathetic. Finally, Fred offers Charlie £8 for Joe's note. They haggle a bit and settle on £9:10:0, which Fred pays Charlie in cash (he might have written a note of his own, but probably for more). Charlie has £1 plus the £9:10:00d and has actually made a profit of 10s.

Fred maybe does the same kind of thing to buy up some of Joe's other outstanding notes.

At 'just the right moment' (when Joe doesn't have any cash). Fred goes to Joe and demands payment in full. Joe can't pay cash, and Fred won't accept wool or other comodities. So Joe either has to sell something for cash quickly in order to pay Fred, or buy back his note(s) with *bigger* notes. Fred has Joe over a barrel and can virtually dictate terms.

• Trade 101   11 years 45 weeks ago

Cornering Markets

Buying up Notes

• Hundreds   11 years 45 weeks ago

According to HarnPlayer?

This explains why I couldn't find it in the HarnDex :oops:

Thanks

Neil

• Hundreds   11 years 45 weeks ago

According to HarnPlayer?

This explains why I couldn't find it in the HarnDex :oops:

Thanks

Neil

• New Campaign Help   11 years 45 weeks ago

**SPOILER ALERT** (non-GMS playing in Chelemby should not read this)

Hi Allan,

I'm replying late, sorry, but here are some things that may help tie various bits of Chelemby together and get your players exploring various parts of the island.

THE JAAGENSEN
    As Jeremy has mentioned, there is a semi-official school of arcane lore in Chelemby city, sponsored by Clan Jaagensen. This is an interesting, and powerful, clan.
    - The current treasurer is a Jaagensen.
    - A secret underground tunnel runs from the Jaagensen clanhouse (P4) to outside the city wall. What's that there for?
    - The Jaagensen dominate the herring trade in Koladis, but this position has recently been challenged by the Silkan. The Silkan have a colourful history, and have recently seen a resurgence of fortune thanks to the recent arrival of Kal and Taros (the latter being a member-at-large of the Valstrad). What is their story?
    - The Silkan (esp. Kal) are involved in the Kalinby-Tarkenby feud. The Silkan were also involved in the Elbrath-Elionasen feud. The Jaagensen, meanwhile, are allies of Tarkenby, and also of the Pelanby (one of the most powerful clans in NW Lythia). This could involve the players in the local politics and lead on to adventures in mainland Lythia as they attempt to make their way back to Harn.
    - With their involvement in the herring trade, the Jaagensen would have some connection with Salonen Ekatriasa in Koladis. He has an 'uncanny' accuracy for picking the location of the fish. What is his story?
    - It seems also that one of the Temian burial sites lies within the Jaagensen nalard.

ANCIENT RUINS
    The various Earthmaster and Temian sites have also been mentioned. There are a few interesting characters in Chelemby, Koladis and Evanekin with interests in these sites, connections with the Shek P'var, or both:
    - Kala the Tutor and Mide the Beggar in Koladis
    - Mirel Wentelsen and Lesyl Dysen in Evanekin
    - The Queen is from Emelrene, which has links with Melderyn and which borders with Alagon in Shorkyne (the duke of Alagon, a Pelanby , is a friend of King Aemon).
    - The cult surrounding the Jarind stones of Chelemby (mentioned in the lore section of this website).

A few interesting tidbits from the Chelemby City guide, which you can only speculate on until the actual module comes out, include the Hyzel glassworker (I48: some Hyzel are worshippers of Siem - a Sindar perhaps?); the soothsayer who is apparently an outcast daughter of a Silkan (K16); and the Berema-trained artefact dealer (V16).

I hope those few things help. I think you should have no trouble keeping players occupied in Chelemby and its near neighbours for a while.

Dan.

• New Campaign Help   11 years 45 weeks ago

**SPOILER ALERT** (non-GMS playing in Chelemby should not read this)

Hi Allan,

THE JAAGENSEN
    - The current treasurer is a Jaagensen.

ANCIENT RUINS
    - Kala the Tutor and Mide the Beggar in Koladis
    - Mirel Wentelsen and Lesyl Dysen in Evanekin

Dan.

• HM Gold Player Edition Margins Issue   11 years 45 weeks ago

I think we have to acknowledge the possibility that Adobe did indeed manage to improve their compression algorhythms :)

I actually noticed the difference when I created the new file. If I weren't quite as lazy as I in fact appear to be... I would probably rebuild all our distribution files as version 6 (the earlier ones are version 5). I may, however, wait until I get version 7 or 8...

• HM Gold Player Edition Margins Issue   11 years 45 weeks ago

• Hundreds   11 years 45 weeks ago

According to HarnPlayer (and correcting for the layout error there), shire is "irdiula" and hundred is "trevediula".

• Hundreds   11 years 45 weeks ago

• HM Gold Player Edition Margins Issue   11 years 45 weeks ago

Darn good question.

My copy is 19.6 MB, but I just found that if I re-saved the file using Acrobat Pro that it would go down to 8.7 MB. And I didn't even specify and optimizations.

If I do specify some optimizations, I can get it down to 4.6 MB and there doesn't seem any degradation of the bitmap images worth mentioning.

• HM Gold Player Edition Margins Issue   11 years 45 weeks ago

Darn good question.

• HM Gold Player Edition Margins Issue   11 years 45 weeks ago

Just curious ... the old PDF is about 22 Mb while the new one is around 10 Mb in size. There doesn't appear to be a difference between the documents in Adobe Reader (other than the repaired margins). What would cause the discrepancy?

Thanks,
    Brian

• HM Gold Player Edition Margins Issue   11 years 45 weeks ago

Thanks,
    Brian

• HM Gold Player Edition Margins Issue   11 years 45 weeks ago

Ah ... yes indeed it has been a while hasn't it. And now I'm overwhelmed with holiday season events (mainly for my children).

I shall plan a visit for the near future!

Thanks for the file in the meantime :) ... we have a spiffy new colour laser printer here at work and I might try a few pages on that.

Cheers,
    B

• HM Gold Player Edition Margins Issue   11 years 45 weeks ago

I shall plan a visit for the near future!

Cheers,
    B

• HM Gold Player Edition Margins Issue   11 years 46 weeks ago

Brian, I should make you come and pick one up in person... you haven't been out here in ... ?

but... check your my files page... :)

• HM Gold Player Edition Margins Issue   11 years 46 weeks ago

but... check your my files page... :)

• HM Gold Player Edition Margins Issue   11 years 46 weeks ago

Hmmm ... I never noticed this, but I have not yet tried to print it out though.

Could I get an updated copy please?

Cheers,
    Brian

• HM Gold Player Edition Margins Issue   11 years 46 weeks ago

Hmmm ... I never noticed this, but I have not yet tried to print it out though.

Could I get an updated copy please?

Cheers,
    Brian

• HM Gold Player Edition Margins Issue   11 years 46 weeks ago

I got the replacement file from the "My Files" section. And I now have a completely printed rule book. Thank you for addressing the issue.

• HM Gold Player Edition Margins Issue   11 years 46 weeks ago

• HM Gold Player Edition Margins Issue   11 years 46 weeks ago

I've printed it out numerous times. Can't say as I ever noticed it though :)

• HM Gold Player Edition Margins Issue   11 years 46 weeks ago

I've printed it out numerous times. Can't say as I ever noticed it though :)