• Fonts   11 years 35 weeks ago

Stonehenge.

• No, Virginia, I’m not Santa Claus   11 years 35 weeks ago

Very sorry to hear about the onc revisitation. :-/
    Hopefully this time, after yet another round of chemistry, they'll get the idea that they aren't truly welcomed.

Granted, having them over for tea, or a game session, every now and then might not be so bad (old friends, after all), but like most people, they tend to outstay their welcome.

Although I've been using up most of my good thoughts lately (my re-spawn rate for positive thoughts has somehow been set to < LOW > (not quite sure how that happened)), I'll be sure to send what I have left your way. I'm pretty sure that I left a few under the couch as well (for rainy days)... if the cats have left any, I'll pop those over to you as well.

My wishes for your good health (now and in the future)...

• "New topics" and "Recent comments"   11 years 36 weeks ago

"You could immdiately reply to your new topic with an answer that has the same title as the intial topic...then it would come up as a recent comment!!!"

That doesn't work if you want to know what other people have posted.

• "New topics" and "Recent comments"   11 years 36 weeks ago

That doesn't work if you want to know what other people have posted.

• "New topics" and "Recent comments"   11 years 36 weeks ago

The software we are using for kelestia.com treats the initial forum posts (the "topics") as website items (much like blog entries, polls or individual downloads) and the replies to them as comments.

In other words: The first post of a forum thread (the "topic") is not considered a comment.

We *could* maybe set up a "Recent forum posts" sidebar that lists both the topics and the comments as equal elements.

Personally, I quite like the way it's handled now -- after getting used to it a little.

• "New topics" and "Recent comments"   11 years 36 weeks ago

• "New topics" and "Recent comments"   11 years 36 weeks ago

• "New topics" and "Recent comments"   11 years 36 weeks ago

• Trade 101   11 years 36 weeks ago

Don't worry - I won't let Robin be distracted...

J.

---------------------
    Fástred na Beréma,
    Rówanti na Sávè-k’nôr

• Trade 101   11 years 36 weeks ago

Don't worry - I won't let Robin be distracted...

J.

---------------------
    Fástred na Beréma,
    Rówanti na Sávè-k’nôr

• Kethiran races.   11 years 36 weeks ago

Perhaps I am conflating published canon with material I've written and which may never see the light of day, but I could swear that I have somewhere run across comments about dark-skinned travelers from Anzeloria and possibly "swarthy" folk from Hepekeria. If so, it would presumably be in material about a port town, perhaps Cherafir?

As noted elsewhere, the idea of three races on Earth is essentially a 19th century idea which has now been pretty much trodden into the ground.

• Kethiran races.   11 years 36 weeks ago

• Kethiran races.   11 years 36 weeks ago

Well, first of all, I'm not sure the word 'race' gets properly used much on Terra. I think it's synonymous with species, in which case there is only one human race, unified by the ability to inter-breed. However, within that species there are certain variations, mainly due to isolated development in different climes over very long periods of time. This is what I think you're asking about.

Language families generally reflect ethnic and 'racial' divisions, on Kèthîra as well as Terra.

Frankly, some of this we have not yet nailed down, especially in regard to the Far East of Lýthia.

Living in a tropical/equatorial climate for a very long period of time does darken the skin.

The people of Central Anzelôria are what we might call 'black', as are at least some folk in Southeastern Lýthia and Mernat. However, there are going to be some analogous distributions of 'racial attributes' which will present something of a mystery to those who study the ethnicity of Kèthîra. This is going to be a long term puzzle (for your edification and entertainment) involving language, culture and psycho-physical attributes.

• Kethiran races.   11 years 36 weeks ago

• Trade 101   11 years 36 weeks ago

"If I thought anyone would be interested"

Yes, definitely. But not if it interrupts work on Chelemby City. :)

Dan.

• Trade 101   11 years 36 weeks ago

"If I thought anyone would be interested"

Yes, definitely. But not if it interrupts work on Chelemby City. :)

Dan.

• Trade 101   11 years 36 weeks ago

Citing my second favourite Clavell was a good idea. That book can certainly be used to set a mood.

Another prima facie anachronistic period piece is the BBC (or ITV?) TV series: The "Onedin Line". It is about a ruthless man running a shipping business in the age of the clipper ship (hence the anachronism). This kind of thing can set the mood, but it can also offer useful (and rather timeless) ideas on how businesses operate.

It is difficult to role-play trade. In theory, the GM has to know where every ship is, what it's carrying, what it paid for its cargo, and what the prices are for each comodity in each market. I haven't figured out how to do that yet... but I'll let you know when I do.

Meanwhile, I do have some rough and ready rules for operating 'patronage investments'. If I thought anyone would be interested, I might make them available ;)

• Trade 101   11 years 36 weeks ago

• Trade 101   11 years 37 weeks ago

Just to add to what others have said, there is a lovely example of 'buying up notes' in the James Clavell book 'Tai Pan'.

The book is about the early opium/tea trade in HongKong, and our hero Dirk Struan of Struans' (the 'Noble House' - i.e. the biggest merchant house in the China trade). Struan's sworn enemy, Brock, manages to buy up all of Struan's paper (i.e. promissory notes) having heard that the Struans' bank in Britain has problems and has sent no cash.

Struan is in trouble but manages to cut a deal with a Chinese merchant who supplies around a ton of silver in return for a debt note and four halves of broken coins. Struan/the Noble House takes on an obligation to do 'anything in its power' for any individual who presents one of these four coin halves in the future (after it has been checked against the other halves, held by Sturan, obviously - how's that for a plot hook?).

Having brokered this deal, Struan has the silver piled up (under cover of darkness) on the beach, under a tarpaulin. When Brock demands payment for all the notes that just 'happen to be in his posession', Dirk announces that 'the Noble House has decided to pay cash!' and has the tarpaulin removed. 'It's all yours' he grins as he leaves Brock with a huge pile of precious metal on a beach full of longshorement, soldiers, merchants, sailors and sundry other townsfolk...

• Trade 101   11 years 37 weeks ago

• Trade 101   11 years 37 weeks ago

And getting caught committing arson in a close-built town with a lot of wood construction provides an opportunity for role-playing a trial and execution.

"Well, I never liked that PC anyway and was looking for an excuse to roll up a new one."

• Trade 101   11 years 37 weeks ago

• Trade 101   11 years 37 weeks ago

You know, a warehouse full of 900 tuns of wool and wine and who-konws-what-else is just BEGGING to be burned down by a rival clan . . . Talk about intensifying a clan feud in the marketplace!

----------

Old style heraldry: Sable, the pale argent.

New style heraldry: Oreo, resting on edge.

• Trade 101   11 years 37 weeks ago

----------

Old style heraldry: Sable, the pale argent.

New style heraldry: Oreo, resting on edge.

• Trade 101   11 years 37 weeks ago

Robin and Jeremy,

Many thanks for very clearly (and patiently) answering these questions at length, and particularly for providing examples. Very helpful.

I wonder if Wiley have released a For Dummies book on Medieval Trade?

Dan.