• Occupational Skills   11 years 37 weeks ago

Great post.

Perhaps something along the lines of a Liaison Officer for women in the Church of Larani or Halea? Since they go out into the field, they might recieve some training besides courtly skills.

• Occupational Skills   11 years 37 weeks ago

Great post.

• Occupational Skills   11 years 37 weeks ago

...In historical (Terran) terms there are very few occupations for women. In many/most cultures they were little(?) more than chattle. But Harn has been created with a more modern/open mindset.

...And what does this have to do with skill sets...

While masculine skill sets are (fairly) well developed, female skill sets are not. This come from a) A mostly male RPG demographic and b) Historical prejudice against women.

Therefore most of your new skill sets will (probably) have to deal with women being included in the society and there adaptations to the (mostly) male power structure.
    (And a new rational for the Church of Halea is born)

Thus we will be presenting choices/vocations not available to women of the middle ages and also creating an "artificial" reality. (Ok, ok... it is a RPG after all, but a world very much based on a understanding of the "real" Terran middle ages.) I personally enjoy the "new-found" freedoms of the fairer sex but it does skew our view of the historical (Terran) middle age.

Ruminations from The Ancient One...
    ...The man who WOULD NOT be king.

• Occupational Skills   11 years 37 weeks ago

...And what does this have to do with skill sets...

(And a new rational for the Church of Halea is born)

Ruminations from The Ancient One...
    ...The man who WOULD NOT be king.

• Occupational Skills   11 years 37 weeks ago

Sounds interesting Brimstone, but this thread isn't about women's roles in society, it's about occupational skill sets for occupations that don't appear in the HarnMaster Gold tables.

• Occupational Skills   11 years 37 weeks ago

• Occupational Skills   11 years 37 weeks ago

Well I'm currently pondering a retrofitting of the entire Kelestia universe to make it a little more zesty.

This alternate version will have women mainly as Shek-Pvar, sort of like Aes Sedai from the Robert Jordan "Wheel of Time" novels. The mechanics of magic will incorporate the need for "Vis" like Ars Magica. When most men try to use "Vis" while spellcasting they go insane, but for some reason women have no problems combining "Vis" and spells. It's like men are tainted and when the "Vis" interacts with a mans spirit things go haywire.

The setting will still be low magic, but it allows for some intresting opportunities for the female gender. A world a little less chauvinistic towards women.

• Occupational Skills   11 years 37 weeks ago

• An RPG designed specifically for online play?   11 years 37 weeks ago

I play all my RPGs over the internet with a VTT (Virtual Table Top) called Fantasy Grounds.

I have to say there is generational change between a pen and paper game played on the internet and a computer aided game. It becomes clear if you talk about it in the context of a game like chess. You can enable people to play the game as written across long distances or you can change the game by offering strategy or tracking moves or modifying the rules with 'real time' things that the players can do. I hope people treat RPGS as games and preserve most of the rules.

In the first instance - Internet enabled Pen & Paper - all the rules need not change. Extra routines can be made to simplify DMing or rolling on complex tables but it is fundamentally the same. The computer is little more than a glorified phone for an unchanged conversation. This is my preferred mode. I hate twitch games.

In the second instance of an RPG Computer RPG hybrid I think you have to start from the computer side of things with a promise of capabilities then work back to the RPG simulation experience. Here I think you work back from 'Simulation' and 'Reality' into crafting a game. The problem so far IMHO is that you end up with something like Diablo (A great game but not much of a simulation) or Second Life (I gather a great simulation but less of a game).
    I suspect that for the computer simulationists out there Pen & Paper RPGs are too much of a backwater. The results will come from a refinement of 'World of Warcraft' into a personal shared reality not from an expanded PnP RPG.

I really hope there is always a place for pen & paper RPGs even if they are played across computer terminals. Ideally there will be an automation of dice & player interaction that will allow genuine story telling. Fantasy Grounds is IMHO the best package for structured storytelling through an RPG on the net.

-Sigurd

• An RPG designed specifically for online play?   11 years 37 weeks ago

-Sigurd

• An RPG designed specifically for online play?   11 years 37 weeks ago

I'd stick with the core of HarnMaster Gold I think, but I might be inclined to increase the options and complexity of combat, knowing that I had a computer there to handle all the number crunching.

• An RPG designed specifically for online play?   11 years 37 weeks ago

• FASERIP style dice resolution system for Harn   11 years 37 weeks ago

I've put more stuff together.

Here are a few tables I've done so far. Very bare bones, but it has a Universal Table with six colors, 3 degree's of success and 3 degree's of failure. It's d6% based instead of d10%. Players will want to roll high numbers on the chart, so "66" is the highest and best you can roll.

The stat and skill ranking range is from -14 to +14. You'll see that range at the top of the Universal Table.

The dice mechanic modes beyond column shifts are "Full Finesse" and "Combat Apex".

Full Finesse roll d6% then choose the high die after you rolled.

"Combat Apex" roll d6% then choose the high die after you rolled. On a roll ending with a "1" such as "11", "21", "31" and so on, you get to shift the quality result to the next highest level.

For spellcasters they've got to watch out for "Arcane Discord" and "Arcane Nadir".

"Arcane Discord" works similar to Full Finese but to the opposite effect. You roll the d6% and the highest die is automatically the lowest number.

"Arcane Nadir" which works like Arcane Discord, but in addition any roll ending in a "6" gets the success level reduced to the next lowest level. So a Marginal Success could become a Marginal Failure on a roll of "56" for example.

Also I added "Defender Strategic Advantage" to the combat tables. It works just like "Defender Tactical Advantage", but the defender gets a increase the quality result on their next action. So a marginal success would become a hyper success on their next dice roll.

• FASERIP style dice resolution system for Harn   11 years 37 weeks ago

I've put more stuff together.

Full Finesse roll d6% then choose the high die after you rolled.

• More Meat and More Meeting   11 years 37 weeks ago

Well... HârnChat I was a nice little meeting. It was great fun talking to you folks live! For those who couldn't attend, here is the archived chat (as promised ;)): http://www.kelestia.com/?q=chatrooms/archives/13

I am looking forward to next week's HârnChat II, again on Sunday, starting at 22:00 GMT/UTC (countdown timer already set again).

• More Meat and More Meeting   11 years 37 weeks ago

Thanks for the URL, Allan! I think this is a great way to give GMs more differentiated information about a module without the danger of giving away parts of the story to potential players. I was in fact thinking about a way to realise this for our Scenario Ideas -- and this seems like a neat concept to "borrow" :). Actually, I think we will come up with something very similar. Thanks again!

• More Meat and More Meeting   11 years 38 weeks ago

A similar idea is being produced by LPJ design, a weekly adventure, stand alone but linkable. I just got the first two to see about converting to Harn, as they sounded like they might work at Golotha, a location my Players will be at soon. They are designed for D20 with all the attending hassel of converting high fantasy. But it might be a idea Kelestia could look at. One good addition they have is a group of rating systems that allow you to look at the module and get a feel for its content (difficulty, reward, location, NPC interaction etc).

Allan

• More Meat and More Meeting   11 years 38 weeks ago

Jan and KPers,

Scenario Ideas sounds like a great idea. I look forward to next week's launch.

Dan.

• Life is Fun, Death is Peaceful.   11 years 38 weeks ago

Gosh darn, ricket-fricket, bloody roman numerals...

Make that HarnCon VI.

Plan to see you there. I owe you a beer...

TTYL

- Kerry

• Life is Fun, Death is Peaceful.   11 years 38 weeks ago

Always look on the bright side of death..da..da..da..da..da.da.da.da.

May the joke have a very long punchline.

If that fails Kerry seems to have a time machine at his disposal; as he is is looking forward to Harncon IV apparrently. Either that or he is stuck in time.....

• FASERIP style dice resolution system for Harn   11 years 38 weeks ago

I'm glad you took the time to read my thoughts and make a comment.

At times Harn does use something similar to FASERIP style solution. When weapon crafting you compare a skill index rating to the quality of a result. What I'm suggesting would make the entire system more homogeneous. At least in my humble opinion.

Here is an example of some spell casting charts. Regular on-the-fly casting and in the wizards laboratory.

The only time a spellcaster can get Full Finesse or Partial Finesse is when he's in his laboratory. Which leads into another area where Harn has some room for growth. The way Ars Magica requires "Vis" to make a spell permanent adds another layer of economy beyond fatigue levels for spell casting. In general you want to avoid spell use requiring "Vis" unless you have maximized you're spell casting bonus (i.e. Full Finesse or Partial Finesse). "Vis" is too precious to be wasted. As great as the "normal world" aspects of Harn are, Ars Magica has a leg up on "Harn magic". The good news is all Harn needs to do is add something like "Vis". It would certainly add a lot of adventure possibilities with the need to go hunting of "Vis" sources. Chantries being built in area's that have natural a "Vis" source and the Wizards fiercely protecting that domain. Or say a great big "Vis" source in the middle of Gargun territory, and some unsrupulous wizards making deals with the Gargun in exchange to harvest it.

I'm thinking Partial Finesse you get to choose which d10 is the high dice after you rolled.

While Full Finesse you get to choose which is the high dice after you rolled, but in addition, on a roll ending in either "5" or "0" you get to shift that quality result to the next highest level. For example, you roll a "5" and a "4". Although the "5" is higher, choosing the "4" as the high dice for a roll of "45", will allow for you to shift the quality result to the next level.

Here is a Weapons Combat Table with "Full Finesse" and "Partial Finesse" included.

• FASERIP style dice resolution system for Harn   11 years 38 weeks ago

I'm glad you took the time to read my thoughts and make a comment.

• Life is Fun, Death is Peaceful.   11 years 38 weeks ago

Dear Robin,

Sorry to hear those Nasty, Brutish and Short Oncs have bypassed the outer defences. My thoughts, prayers and hopes are with you.

Stay strong, stay positive and keep up the fight.

I look forward to seeing you at HarnCon IV to express my support in person.

You friend,

Kerry Mould

• How to Construct Valid Geographical Entities   11 years 38 weeks ago

Robin

As Peter has said, the old 1” to 1 mile (1:63360 scale) maps were replaced by the new (metric) 1:50000 series. The 6” to 1 mile (1:10560 scale) maps were replaced by 1:10000 scale maps. In the past 10 years these maps have been digitised and are regularly updated by the O.S. using satellite surveys. The map I’m looking at (at work) shows a housing development which was only approved 3 years ago and shows the partially finished roads and completed dwellings.

Neil

• How to Construct Valid Geographical Entities   11 years 38 weeks ago

The text is certainly nice and I'm really looking forward to the completion of Chelemby (and I'd love to learn more about Hurisea), but I'd buy the V&R maps as stand-alone products. I can make details up as I go along, but despite my love of cartography, I can't make a decent map to save my life . . .

More releases along the lines of the Atlas Kelestia Folio 1 (E5 and 6 through H5 and 6) would be great!

----------

Old style heraldry: Sable, the pale argent.

New style heraldry: Oreo, resting on edge.