• Is there interest out there in a completed Harnic Tarot, printed or virtual?   3 years 18 weeks ago

That would be great

• A couple of questions   3 years 21 weeks ago

Hi

and thank you for that. I had all the answers, they were just buried in the mass of material which I have forgotten my way round!

Cheers

Lee

• A couple of questions   3 years 21 weeks ago

Hi

Cheers

Lee

• A couple of questions   3 years 21 weeks ago

Lee,

The location stats go back to the older publications from c 1990. Without delving too deep to see when they may have first appeared, I can point you to: an excellent definition of Market Size in the old Pilots' Almanac (1988, first two pages of the Port Almanac section) and Land Quality is defined in the Shorkyne Regional Module (1991, first page of the Index). LQ is also given in the old Harnic kingdom module subdinfeudation tables, but there is just called Land.

Except for "Tide Factor", the other port and trade stats that may appear for the larger settlements in the Atlas Kelestia data are also defined in those same places. The HarnWorld module (1990) also defines the tax rates in its economics section.

Unfortunately, I have yet to take my copy of the 1990s HMG 2.0 rules out of their shinkwrap, so I"m not really able to comment on what is different between them and the HMG 2.1 PE and GME currently sold here. I'll try to get Ken to respond to that, as he is the best person around here to answer rules questions.

• A couple of questions   3 years 21 weeks ago

Lee,

• Umbathri   3 years 28 weeks ago

It's my understanding that the Umbathri can fly due to their substantially ethereal nature and do not have wings. Ilvir likes variation though. Nothing to say this particular pack of Umbrathi haven't been gifted with them.

• Umbathri   3 years 28 weeks ago

• Can't find Random Modifier Table   3 years 34 weeks ago

Actually the original GME had a table in the Heredity section that is missing from the newer GM edition. I copied below- sorry for the formatting issues.

Random

13–14 +1
    15 +2
    16 +3
    17 +4
    18 +5

• Can't find Random Modifier Table   3 years 34 weeks ago

Verneri, I am not sure about this, but I believe that is a reference to the "SUMMARY OF ATTRIBUTE MODIFIERS BY SPECIES & SEX" table on page Char. Gen. 12 in the player edition of the rules.

• Can't find Random Modifier Table   3 years 34 weeks ago

• An unexpected pleasure   3 years 35 weeks ago

I think that kingdom-maps ought to follow the political entity despite regions, alike the Emelrene map. It is a nice post. That you for sharing it.

• An unexpected pleasure   3 years 35 weeks ago

• An unexpected pleasure   3 years 38 weeks ago

Just read though the article. I am overjoyed not only to get infos on a new kingdom and region, but also that it opens up the "Venarive Almanac", which bodes well for future publications. I will sit on the sidelines and cheer on the next one!

Perhaps, some day, we will even see Trierzon, first announced "coming soon" for the autumn of 86 :-)

So, great work. Good solid infos on the "real" Byria (unlike the one we all know about by the Mangai).

Some remarks:
    - The slavery article should imho be made available seperately. While I assume that many will buy the whole package, the slavery article has a broader audience.
    - While I much appreciate the regional map on the Byrian Peninsular (though I hope we will some day get another one with the same bitmap quality as Hârn/Shorkyne) I think that kingdom-maps should follow the political entity regardless of regions, alike the Emelrene map - so I would have gladly traded in some more coverage on the flanks and especially to the south for decreased scale. Many realms will not fit roughly within a region anyway.

That said, my thanks for this step ahead in the coverage of Kelestia and Venarive.

• An unexpected pleasure   3 years 38 weeks ago

Some remarks:

• Atlas Keléstia - SHKN K2 (Hléjis)   3 years 38 weeks ago

The map is so great. Thank you for this. I had been looking for this map and I am lucky enough to find it here.

• An unexpected pleasure   3 years 38 weeks ago

Yes, that's just what I thought when reading it through. I can retcon it in easily as I never specified where the ship was actually wrecked, merely starting him at age 4 in the slave quarters of an estate on the lower slopes of the Gurisha Hills, listening to stories from his crippled father of the sea and the glories of the men of the north.

• An unexpected pleasure   3 years 38 weeks ago

• An unexpected pleasure   3 years 38 weeks ago

The islands of Carcos and Leiminos seem almost custom-made for your story. The harshest matriarchs, numerically vulnerable, difficult to reinforce, and precariously placed near the shipping lanes . . . it's like catnip for Ivinians.

• An unexpected pleasure   3 years 38 weeks ago

• Atlas Keléstia - SHKN G5 (Yelâben), F5 (Trevéhedè) & E5 (Baas), revised   3 years 41 weeks ago

The bundle of eight squares including Chélemby, Géltheim and Ánvâl is now available, http://www.kelestia.com/atlas/folio-1

The nine-square bundle of Lédenheum and Western Huriséa should be out later this summer.

• 15-square wide regional maps   3 years 41 weeks ago

Point 2: Because there was an inconsistency in the published material and producing further regional maps (which unfortunately has been much delayed by Robin's death) required that the consistency be resolved.

Point 3: Because consistency seems to be one the features that Harniacs prefer about the world, even from fanon. If you want to debate that topic further, I suggest you take it to the Lythia.com HarnForum where you will find more people willing to respond.

• 15-square wide regional maps   3 years 41 weeks ago

• 15-square wide regional maps   3 years 41 weeks ago

1. This is true in any university textbook. Eratosthenes of Cyrene (city belonging to the kingdom of Egypt), chief librarian at Alexandria's famed library (in Egypt) probably used Egyptian stadia. I have read only ONE serious research article (Engels 1984) proposing the Attic stadion, and he simply ditched the burden of proof.
    Think of the following:
    An America-born chief librarian from the Library of Congress in Washington D.C. may reasonably be expected to use American satute miles rather than Roman miles. The burden of the proof lies on the person wishing to demonstrate the least likely scenario.

2. I strongly agree : the purpose of the game world is to support a game. You are essentially rephrasing my initial interrogation: Why change the grid since it can't possibly affect the game?

3. Why ARE they getting so worked up? The use of words like *blasphemy* and *canon*, the apparent personality cult around NRC, all that gives off a vague smell of cult membership.

• 15-square wide regional maps   3 years 41 weeks ago