• Ice Ages   3 years 19 weeks ago

A quick check of the Hârnica on my laptop seems to reveal only one reference to a past glacial epoch. In the Introduction to Ivinia, under Vegetation & Topographys, it states: "The Ivínian Shield, located on either side of the Chazarian Sea, is a region scoured clean by glaciers."

Otherwise I might have said, perhaps Kethira is in a cool phase right now.

(Given the astrophysics of Nolomar, Kethira should be a lot hotter, where "a lot" means molten lead at the surface. But that's a debate that's been held too many times before.)

• A couple of questions   3 years 20 weeks ago

lol, I spent way too long looking at those indices!

Reading thru kelestia stuff now too.

• A couple of questions   3 years 20 weeks ago

lol, I spent way too long looking at those indices!

Reading thru kelestia stuff now too.

• A couple of questions   3 years 20 weeks ago

Looking at your names, I just had a dejavu:

In the old Mailinglist from 1990-94, I find all of us already chatting about Hârn.
    ftp://ftp.funet.fi/index/RolePlaying/systems/harn/maillist/

Its good to see Paul and Lee back among the old hands :-)

Axel

• A couple of questions   3 years 20 weeks ago

Looking at your names, I just had a dejavu:

ftp://ftp.funet.fi/index/RolePlaying/systems/harn/maillist/

Its good to see Paul and Lee back among the old hands :-)

Axel

• A couple of questions   3 years 21 weeks ago

Hey Lee,

You and I are in the same boat. Just starting to read the stuff here today after getting my sea legs!

-Paul

• A couple of questions   3 years 21 weeks ago

Hey Lee,

-Paul

• Is there interest out there in a completed Harnic Tarot, printed or virtual?   3 years 23 weeks ago

I would very much appreciate a completed version - in one of my RPG groups a self-made text-only deck ist often used and it is always a delightful element of atmosphere. I imagine it stunning with a graphic version.

• Compatability   3 years 23 weeks ago

HarnMaster Gold is another iteration of the HarnMaster system. Just as HarnMaster2 made some changes from the original HarnMaster, so does HarnMaster Gold (in fact it might said that HM:G is closer to the original version).

Other rule books designed for HarnMaster 2 for instance will have some descrepencies with HarnMaster Gold but they are by and large minor, and should be easily adjusted for.

Battlelust should work just fine, HarnManor and Pilot's Almanac likewise. Religion rules are contained in the HarnMaster Gold Player's Edition and supercedes the rules in HarnMaster Religion. HarnMaster Gold: Shek Pvar replaces HarnMaster Magic. HarnMaster Barbarians could be adapted (but I've never liked it in the first place :) )

Hope that helps Matt!

• Compatability   3 years 23 weeks ago

Hope that helps Matt!

That would be great

• A couple of questions   3 years 26 weeks ago

Hi

and thank you for that. I had all the answers, they were just buried in the mass of material which I have forgotten my way round!

Cheers

Lee

• A couple of questions   3 years 26 weeks ago

Hi

Cheers

Lee

• A couple of questions   3 years 26 weeks ago

Lee,

The location stats go back to the older publications from c 1990. Without delving too deep to see when they may have first appeared, I can point you to: an excellent definition of Market Size in the old Pilots' Almanac (1988, first two pages of the Port Almanac section) and Land Quality is defined in the Shorkyne Regional Module (1991, first page of the Index). LQ is also given in the old Harnic kingdom module subdinfeudation tables, but there is just called Land.

Except for "Tide Factor", the other port and trade stats that may appear for the larger settlements in the Atlas Kelestia data are also defined in those same places. The HarnWorld module (1990) also defines the tax rates in its economics section.

Unfortunately, I have yet to take my copy of the 1990s HMG 2.0 rules out of their shinkwrap, so I"m not really able to comment on what is different between them and the HMG 2.1 PE and GME currently sold here. I'll try to get Ken to respond to that, as he is the best person around here to answer rules questions.

• A couple of questions   3 years 26 weeks ago

Lee,

• Umbathri   3 years 33 weeks ago

It's my understanding that the Umbathri can fly due to their substantially ethereal nature and do not have wings. Ilvir likes variation though. Nothing to say this particular pack of Umbrathi haven't been gifted with them.

• Umbathri   3 years 33 weeks ago

• Can't find Random Modifier Table   3 years 39 weeks ago

Actually the original GME had a table in the Heredity section that is missing from the newer GM edition. I copied below- sorry for the formatting issues.

Random

13–14 +1
    15 +2
    16 +3
    17 +4
    18 +5

• Can't find Random Modifier Table   3 years 39 weeks ago

Verneri, I am not sure about this, but I believe that is a reference to the "SUMMARY OF ATTRIBUTE MODIFIERS BY SPECIES & SEX" table on page Char. Gen. 12 in the player edition of the rules.

• Can't find Random Modifier Table   3 years 39 weeks ago

• An unexpected pleasure   3 years 40 weeks ago

I think that kingdom-maps ought to follow the political entity despite regions, alike the Emelrene map. It is a nice post. That you for sharing it.

• An unexpected pleasure   3 years 40 weeks ago

• An unexpected pleasure   3 years 43 weeks ago

Just read though the article. I am overjoyed not only to get infos on a new kingdom and region, but also that it opens up the "Venarive Almanac", which bodes well for future publications. I will sit on the sidelines and cheer on the next one!

Perhaps, some day, we will even see Trierzon, first announced "coming soon" for the autumn of 86 :-)

So, great work. Good solid infos on the "real" Byria (unlike the one we all know about by the Mangai).

Some remarks:
    - The slavery article should imho be made available seperately. While I assume that many will buy the whole package, the slavery article has a broader audience.
    - While I much appreciate the regional map on the Byrian Peninsular (though I hope we will some day get another one with the same bitmap quality as Hârn/Shorkyne) I think that kingdom-maps should follow the political entity regardless of regions, alike the Emelrene map - so I would have gladly traded in some more coverage on the flanks and especially to the south for decreased scale. Many realms will not fit roughly within a region anyway.

That said, my thanks for this step ahead in the coverage of Kelestia and Venarive.

• An unexpected pleasure   3 years 43 weeks ago