• Ice Ages   3 years 32 weeks ago

It's possible I missed some other references to glaciation. Only a handful of my scanned Harnica files have been OCRed, but then only a few of the modules would include that sort of info anyway.

Regarding Nolomar, "debate" is overstating the matter. Basically, a major problem was noted about 10 years ago on HarnForum, and people said hmmmmm. By now just about everyone's forgot about it, although there are those who have lately been obsessed with figuring out the exact length of Kethira's year and how much the date of the full moon has shifted since the start of TR1.

Canon tells us Nolomar is a G2 star, that it has a mass 1.61 that of Sol, and that Kethira orbits at a distance of 174 Mkm. Mechanically, this is all very nice if you work the numbers, as you find that Kethira would have a year of 360 days.

But... according to the solar mass-luminosity relationship, if Nolomar is a main-sequence star (as implied by stating that it's a G2) then its luminosity is about 1.6^3.5 ~ 5.2 that of Sol. So even though Kethira is farther away from Nolomar than Earth is from the Sun, it's still much too close for the radiation it's going to get hit with. Something like a radiative flux about 3.8 times that which Earth receives.

The upshot is that the person who wrote the original info about the Nolomar system got the mechanics right but had no idea there were astrophysical issues in play. It wasn't Robin, as he told me years ago that someone else did the calculations. It sounded like math was not one of Robin's strengths.

• Ice Ages   3 years 32 weeks ago

Yeah, that's hotter.

Thx for the scan. I'm still in mid-disorganized mode. Been there for a few decades. Progress is slow.

Fwiw, I missed the Nolomar debate.

So, I guess I can do whatever I want in my epic, 38 volume, Geomorphology of Venarive. Gotta have glaciers, even in latitude 40-50, so maybe the Earthmasters triggered a warming phase on Kethira....

-Paul

• Ice Ages   3 years 32 weeks ago

Yeah, that's hotter.

Fwiw, I missed the Nolomar debate.

-Paul

• Ice Ages   3 years 32 weeks ago

A quick check of the Hârnica on my laptop seems to reveal only one reference to a past glacial epoch. In the Introduction to Ivinia, under Vegetation & Topographys, it states: "The Ivínian Shield, located on either side of the Chazarian Sea, is a region scoured clean by glaciers."

Otherwise I might have said, perhaps Kethira is in a cool phase right now.

(Given the astrophysics of Nolomar, Kethira should be a lot hotter, where "a lot" means molten lead at the surface. But that's a debate that's been held too many times before.)

• Ice Ages   3 years 32 weeks ago

Otherwise I might have said, perhaps Kethira is in a cool phase right now.

• A couple of questions   3 years 33 weeks ago

lol, I spent way too long looking at those indices!

Reading thru kelestia stuff now too.

• A couple of questions   3 years 33 weeks ago

lol, I spent way too long looking at those indices!

Reading thru kelestia stuff now too.

• A couple of questions   3 years 33 weeks ago

Looking at your names, I just had a dejavu:

In the old Mailinglist from 1990-94, I find all of us already chatting about Hârn.
    ftp://ftp.funet.fi/index/RolePlaying/systems/harn/maillist/

Its good to see Paul and Lee back among the old hands :-)

Axel

• A couple of questions   3 years 33 weeks ago

Looking at your names, I just had a dejavu:

ftp://ftp.funet.fi/index/RolePlaying/systems/harn/maillist/

Its good to see Paul and Lee back among the old hands :-)

Axel

• A couple of questions   3 years 33 weeks ago

Hey Lee,

You and I are in the same boat. Just starting to read the stuff here today after getting my sea legs!

-Paul

• A couple of questions   3 years 33 weeks ago

Hey Lee,

-Paul

• Is there interest out there in a completed Harnic Tarot, printed or virtual?   3 years 36 weeks ago

I would very much appreciate a completed version - in one of my RPG groups a self-made text-only deck ist often used and it is always a delightful element of atmosphere. I imagine it stunning with a graphic version.

• Compatability   3 years 36 weeks ago

HarnMaster Gold is another iteration of the HarnMaster system. Just as HarnMaster2 made some changes from the original HarnMaster, so does HarnMaster Gold (in fact it might said that HM:G is closer to the original version).

Other rule books designed for HarnMaster 2 for instance will have some descrepencies with HarnMaster Gold but they are by and large minor, and should be easily adjusted for.

Battlelust should work just fine, HarnManor and Pilot's Almanac likewise. Religion rules are contained in the HarnMaster Gold Player's Edition and supercedes the rules in HarnMaster Religion. HarnMaster Gold: Shek Pvar replaces HarnMaster Magic. HarnMaster Barbarians could be adapted (but I've never liked it in the first place :) )

Hope that helps Matt!

• Compatability   3 years 36 weeks ago

Hope that helps Matt!

That would be great

• A couple of questions   3 years 38 weeks ago

Hi

and thank you for that. I had all the answers, they were just buried in the mass of material which I have forgotten my way round!

Cheers

Lee

• A couple of questions   3 years 38 weeks ago

Hi

Cheers

Lee

• A couple of questions   3 years 39 weeks ago

Lee,

The location stats go back to the older publications from c 1990. Without delving too deep to see when they may have first appeared, I can point you to: an excellent definition of Market Size in the old Pilots' Almanac (1988, first two pages of the Port Almanac section) and Land Quality is defined in the Shorkyne Regional Module (1991, first page of the Index). LQ is also given in the old Harnic kingdom module subdinfeudation tables, but there is just called Land.

Except for "Tide Factor", the other port and trade stats that may appear for the larger settlements in the Atlas Kelestia data are also defined in those same places. The HarnWorld module (1990) also defines the tax rates in its economics section.

Unfortunately, I have yet to take my copy of the 1990s HMG 2.0 rules out of their shinkwrap, so I"m not really able to comment on what is different between them and the HMG 2.1 PE and GME currently sold here. I'll try to get Ken to respond to that, as he is the best person around here to answer rules questions.

• A couple of questions   3 years 39 weeks ago

Lee,

• Umbathri   3 years 45 weeks ago

It's my understanding that the Umbathri can fly due to their substantially ethereal nature and do not have wings. Ilvir likes variation though. Nothing to say this particular pack of Umbrathi haven't been gifted with them.

• Umbathri   3 years 45 weeks ago

• Can't find Random Modifier Table   4 years 1 day ago

Actually the original GME had a table in the Heredity section that is missing from the newer GM edition. I copied below- sorry for the formatting issues.

Random

13–14 +1
    15 +2
    16 +3
    17 +4
    18 +5

• Can't find Random Modifier Table   4 years 1 day ago

Verneri, I am not sure about this, but I believe that is a reference to the "SUMMARY OF ATTRIBUTE MODIFIERS BY SPECIES & SEX" table on page Char. Gen. 12 in the player edition of the rules.

• Can't find Random Modifier Table   4 years 1 day ago