• Umbathri   2 years 33 weeks ago

It's my understanding that the Umbathri can fly due to their substantially ethereal nature and do not have wings. Ilvir likes variation though. Nothing to say this particular pack of Umbrathi haven't been gifted with them.

• Umbathri   2 years 33 weeks ago

• Can't find Random Modifier Table   2 years 40 weeks ago

Actually the original GME had a table in the Heredity section that is missing from the newer GM edition. I copied below- sorry for the formatting issues.

Random

13–14 +1
    15 +2
    16 +3
    17 +4
    18 +5

• Can't find Random Modifier Table   2 years 40 weeks ago

Verneri, I am not sure about this, but I believe that is a reference to the "SUMMARY OF ATTRIBUTE MODIFIERS BY SPECIES & SEX" table on page Char. Gen. 12 in the player edition of the rules.

• Can't find Random Modifier Table   2 years 40 weeks ago

• An unexpected pleasure   2 years 40 weeks ago

I think that kingdom-maps ought to follow the political entity despite regions, alike the Emelrene map. It is a nice post. That you for sharing it.

• An unexpected pleasure   2 years 40 weeks ago

• An unexpected pleasure   2 years 44 weeks ago

Just read though the article. I am overjoyed not only to get infos on a new kingdom and region, but also that it opens up the "Venarive Almanac", which bodes well for future publications. I will sit on the sidelines and cheer on the next one!

Perhaps, some day, we will even see Trierzon, first announced "coming soon" for the autumn of 86 :-)

So, great work. Good solid infos on the "real" Byria (unlike the one we all know about by the Mangai).

Some remarks:
    - The slavery article should imho be made available seperately. While I assume that many will buy the whole package, the slavery article has a broader audience.
    - While I much appreciate the regional map on the Byrian Peninsular (though I hope we will some day get another one with the same bitmap quality as Hârn/Shorkyne) I think that kingdom-maps should follow the political entity regardless of regions, alike the Emelrene map - so I would have gladly traded in some more coverage on the flanks and especially to the south for decreased scale. Many realms will not fit roughly within a region anyway.

That said, my thanks for this step ahead in the coverage of Kelestia and Venarive.

• An unexpected pleasure   2 years 44 weeks ago

Some remarks:

• Atlas Keléstia - SHKN K2 (Hléjis)   2 years 44 weeks ago

The map is so great. Thank you for this. I had been looking for this map and I am lucky enough to find it here.

• An unexpected pleasure   2 years 44 weeks ago

Yes, that's just what I thought when reading it through. I can retcon it in easily as I never specified where the ship was actually wrecked, merely starting him at age 4 in the slave quarters of an estate on the lower slopes of the Gurisha Hills, listening to stories from his crippled father of the sea and the glories of the men of the north.

• An unexpected pleasure   2 years 44 weeks ago

• An unexpected pleasure   2 years 44 weeks ago

The islands of Carcos and Leiminos seem almost custom-made for your story. The harshest matriarchs, numerically vulnerable, difficult to reinforce, and precariously placed near the shipping lanes . . . it's like catnip for Ivinians.

• An unexpected pleasure   2 years 44 weeks ago

• Atlas Keléstia - SHKN G5 (Yelâben), F5 (Trevéhedè) & E5 (Baas), revised   2 years 46 weeks ago

The bundle of eight squares including Chélemby, Géltheim and Ánvâl is now available, http://www.kelestia.com/atlas/folio-1

The nine-square bundle of Lédenheum and Western Huriséa should be out later this summer.

• 15-square wide regional maps   2 years 46 weeks ago

Point 2: Because there was an inconsistency in the published material and producing further regional maps (which unfortunately has been much delayed by Robin's death) required that the consistency be resolved.

Point 3: Because consistency seems to be one the features that Harniacs prefer about the world, even from fanon. If you want to debate that topic further, I suggest you take it to the Lythia.com HarnForum where you will find more people willing to respond.

• 15-square wide regional maps   2 years 46 weeks ago

• 15-square wide regional maps   2 years 46 weeks ago

1. This is true in any university textbook. Eratosthenes of Cyrene (city belonging to the kingdom of Egypt), chief librarian at Alexandria's famed library (in Egypt) probably used Egyptian stadia. I have read only ONE serious research article (Engels 1984) proposing the Attic stadion, and he simply ditched the burden of proof.
    Think of the following:
    An America-born chief librarian from the Library of Congress in Washington D.C. may reasonably be expected to use American satute miles rather than Roman miles. The burden of the proof lies on the person wishing to demonstrate the least likely scenario.

2. I strongly agree : the purpose of the game world is to support a game. You are essentially rephrasing my initial interrogation: Why change the grid since it can't possibly affect the game?

3. Why ARE they getting so worked up? The use of words like *blasphemy* and *canon*, the apparent personality cult around NRC, all that gives off a vague smell of cult membership.

• 15-square wide regional maps   2 years 46 weeks ago

Think of the following:

• 15-square wide regional maps   2 years 46 weeks ago

"Eratosthenes of Cyrene calculated the Earth's circumference to .016 with a stick and a hole in the ground."

This is true only in elementary school textbooks. In reality, we have no idea how accurate Eratosthenes really was, because we don't know just what "stadia" he used. Indeed, it is absurd to even make the statement that he measured the Earth's circumference to within two percent when he didn't have the means to survey any open distance to within two percent!

I bring this up for a reason. This discussion regarding the accuracy of the regional maps is entirely artificial. The difference between the two maps cannot be detected in-game by player characters. The astronomical instruments are not precise enough to detect the deviations, nor has any large area been surveyed with sufficient accuracy. Only the GM can possibly know the "truth".

In my opinion, the purpose of the game world is to support a game. An issue that can't possibly affect the game is not worth getting worked up about.

• 15-square wide regional maps   2 years 46 weeks ago

• Atlas Keléstia - Emélrenè Map   2 years 46 weeks ago

Please to know that this map covers the kingdom of Emélrenè, as well as the surrounding regions and realms, including the island of Mèlderýn, the Shôrka duchy of Álagon, and the northern reaches of Palíthanè.

• There are actually many betting web pages for aussie members however if you prefer the top onlinepokies you must go to this unique wager site.
  • 15-square wide regional maps   2 years 46 weeks ago

Puster, you misunderstood my point. I was not saying that Harn mapping has anywhere near that clarity. I was merely pointing out that any advancement in clarity of mapping the terrain is a good thing. My comments were directed at the individual who seems to think that changing something, even for the better is bad, bordering on blasphemy - or at least that is what I took away from his comments.

• 15-square wide regional maps   2 years 46 weeks ago