• fief acres claimed and used   2 years 45 weeks ago

Paul - it has always been known that only a proportion of a fief is actually used productively; whether for arable, pasture or other forms of agriculture. We simple explicitly included this data in the statistics, because the maps are now much more accurate, it is possible to measure both the 'used' area and the unused areas.

• fief acres claimed and used   2 years 45 weeks ago

• So many new maps   2 years 47 weeks ago

Yup, that's what I meant. And solution provided. Thanks.

Easier is better. I'm just suffering from the dissonance between this frp world and modern technology. It's a good thing.

• So many new maps   2 years 47 weeks ago

Yup, that's what I meant. And solution provided. Thanks.

• So many new maps   2 years 47 weeks ago

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "simplified PC copy" unless you mean "version that doesn't show the cool stuff". If so, then just use Adobe Reader to open the multi-layered version and turn off whatever layers you don't want the players to see. Also, you might want to turn off the color V&R layer and turn on the grayscale V&R layer.

Robin and I did have a go around about the Special Features layer, where I argued that it should be two layers, distinguishing between stuff in plain sight and stuff that wasn't. But once KP got around to releasing the current series of maps, I ended up going Robin's route because it was just easier to keep track of.

• So many new maps   2 years 47 weeks ago

• So many new maps   2 years 47 weeks ago

Timing of the sale could literally not having been better for me. I haven't yet digested the Venarive stuff I bought earlier, but had to have the maps now that I'm back from vacation, and lo and behold, I found them on sale. Thanks, KP!

I do like the new maps very much. Perhaps one day, we can link stuff to them like I think Robin originally intended. The layers are fantastic. The use of a robust set of symbols and the core/periphery/tribal areas are great touches. The English names layer really helps those of us still learning the jargon. The cropland pattern could perhaps be toned down, perhaps a simple stipple. The marshland is also a bit confusing, especially on the coasts. Cartographic convention on river sizes, coastlines and marshes ought perhaps to be honored a bit more.

I know these maps are geared towards us moderns who run campaigns or build worlds, but one other feature I always appreciated was the free-to-photocopy simplified version for players. Perhaps it's obvious and I am too dense to see how easy it is to do myself, but adding a "simplified PC copy" file to the electronic package would, I think, help many.

I'm sure I will have more, specific comments to come, so please put more value on the positives than negatives above. I am really quite happy!

-Paul

• So many new maps   2 years 47 weeks ago

-Paul

• Is there interest out there in a completed Harnic Tarot, printed or virtual?   2 years 47 weeks ago

Pictures for Harnic tarot Cards would be great! I hope that this project will be done!

As Perin wrote before, we use Tarotry since Robin made his Article and it is much fun and there were many twists in gameplay because our "divinatory skills"!

• So many new maps   2 years 48 weeks ago

The advantage of a subscription is that you know how many buyers there will be for sure. The disadvantage is probably the lower return - in a product, that probably runs on enthusiasm anyway.

But as the software does not offer it, do not waste time better spend on mapping in an attempt to make this work.

An option to award those who buy any map as soon as available could be a lower price for a limited time, like 20% for the first week. You just need to change the price and entry manually. On another note, any money will likely be needed and 20% of a 6$-map will be around 1.20$, so not likely breaking or making a buy anyway.

As a map junky I do not expect any rewards - I get my stuff early and thats sufficient for me - as long as I get my monthly doese of map at all :-)

• So many new maps   2 years 48 weeks ago

• So many new maps   2 years 49 weeks ago

Lawrence, We've thought about some sort of Atlas Kelestia subscription but the devil is in the implementation. The KP store software doesn't allow for any sort of "auto ship" option, and the only other option I've been able to think of is "pay in advance". But again, the store software is limited, so we'd have to charge some sort of set amount and then manually update each subscriber's account whenever a new issue is released. My experience is that this is a pain, as I've been doing this for one person who accidentally double-ordered a large bunch of issues.

That said, we have just added three new discounted Atlas Kelestia bundles to the store, gathering them in annual collections. The 2011 and 2012 collections are currently 15% off the total individual issues prices, and the 2013 collection 12%. You will still have to download the issues individually.

• So many new maps   2 years 49 weeks ago

• Ice Ages   2 years 50 weeks ago

I produced this a few years ago.

It was a fun exercise, but the main thing it reveals is that game maps do not make for realistic geology. No offense to Robin or anyone else - it is just too difficult for the human mind to consider all the factor involved in creating a landscape that would pass muster with a geologist. There is hardly a statement in that article that can't be criticized with arguments along the same vein as the molten-lead-temperatures issue.

• Ice Ages   2 years 50 weeks ago

I produced this a few years ago.

• Ice Ages   2 years 50 weeks ago

Since the sun IS that distance and the surface IS NOT molten lead, clearly the physics of Kethira is a bit different. Perhaps that would explain the ability of those guys and gals in Melderyn to do all that stuff we can't seem to do here on Earth.

Lawrence

• Ice Ages   2 years 50 weeks ago

Lawrence

• Ice Ages   2 years 50 weeks ago

Ah, thx Rob, godstones and Barasi points make a lot of sense. Cradles = godstones and BPs then? Fewer people trickling into a wilder wilderness sounds about right.

*waves hand*

There is some fanon out there about Harnic geology. Won't and can't say more at the moment.

• Ice Ages   2 years 50 weeks ago

*waves hand*

• Ice Ages   2 years 51 weeks ago

I think there's a general feeling that humans arrived via godstones, Barasi points, etc. And that they're presumably still doing so, as that that's the easiest way to explain similarlities with Earth culture.

Canon only seems to indicate the rise of earliest human civiliations around BT8000. Kethira mentions the "emergence" in "cradles". I have seen mention (unpublished AFAIK) to some peoples having ancestral mythos of emerging from caverns or from dragon's eggs. Possibly I've written some of that mythos. :)

• Ice Ages   2 years 51 weeks ago

• Ice Ages   2 years 51 weeks ago

No worries, I was just trying to make sure there wasn't somebody doing something geology related beyond those tectonic lines on the Venarive map. No reason to reinvent the wheel.

3.8x flux? LOL. No way I would know how to do the math beyond copying equations. Same way I do fluid mechanics though. ;-)

Has anybody ever worried about how people got to Kethira? Canon is the dwarves and elves arrived 5-10ka (go easy on my crappy details please), but I don't remember anything about where people came from. Interesting thought experiment for me since Venarive is basically a Bronze and Iron Age world with no Stone Age. Paleo or Neo.

-Paul

• Ice Ages   2 years 51 weeks ago

-Paul

• Ice Ages   2 years 51 weeks ago

It's possible I missed some other references to glaciation. Only a handful of my scanned Harnica files have been OCRed, but then only a few of the modules would include that sort of info anyway.

Regarding Nolomar, "debate" is overstating the matter. Basically, a major problem was noted about 10 years ago on HarnForum, and people said hmmmmm. By now just about everyone's forgot about it, although there are those who have lately been obsessed with figuring out the exact length of Kethira's year and how much the date of the full moon has shifted since the start of TR1.

Canon tells us Nolomar is a G2 star, that it has a mass 1.61 that of Sol, and that Kethira orbits at a distance of 174 Mkm. Mechanically, this is all very nice if you work the numbers, as you find that Kethira would have a year of 360 days.

But... according to the solar mass-luminosity relationship, if Nolomar is a main-sequence star (as implied by stating that it's a G2) then its luminosity is about 1.6^3.5 ~ 5.2 that of Sol. So even though Kethira is farther away from Nolomar than Earth is from the Sun, it's still much too close for the radiation it's going to get hit with. Something like a radiative flux about 3.8 times that which Earth receives.

The upshot is that the person who wrote the original info about the Nolomar system got the mechanics right but had no idea there were astrophysical issues in play. It wasn't Robin, as he told me years ago that someone else did the calculations. It sounded like math was not one of Robin's strengths.

• Ice Ages   2 years 51 weeks ago