thx

Yeah, that's what I was looking for. Tbh, haven't read that far ahead yet, still poring over the Shorkyne map. That map looks real good, and the skimming of Argonel even better. Thx again.

thx

Paul

Populations are 'allocated' at that level of detail in the Atlas Keléstia (AK) square publications.

For instance, take the square AK-SHKN-AX Ârgonel:

- the mining village of Glívan, which supports a number of mines outside of the manorial boundaries (and thus also outside the boundary of Ârgonel Barony), but within Gýtè Hundred, has a population listed of 16 HH (or approximately 80 miners and their families / camp followers / cooks etc).

- just to the south-east of Glívan is part of the Émhlè range of Quándas Âren ésal. This part of the range is centred around the lodge of Álun-ul. This location is listed as having a population of 10 HH (or approximately 50 individuals). These are the Émhlè (free Eméla) who live in that area.

Hope this helps.

Paul

For instance, take the square AK-SHKN-AX Ârgonel:

Hope this helps.

• fief acres claimed and used   3 years 4 weeks ago

So, for example, there are a bunch of mines in Elavona, south of the Atox. Where are those miners "registered"? Abreshes? Logines? Unamed settlement? Just trying to sort this stuff out.

• fief acres claimed and used   3 years 4 weeks ago

Unless indicated otherwise, where you have two or more overlapping populations under different jurisdictions each population will be listed under their respective group. So the Shorkyni population numbers includes not just those within the borders but also those brave folks that have pushed across them. If the latter category is significant the numbers may be called out in the text.

• fief acres claimed and used   3 years 4 weeks ago

Thx Fastred. I see the tribal/Nadi/etc. populations listed, but what about the regular old civilized humans (say Haraaler or Shorkyni) out there? Would they be included in the population of the larger fief (for tax, registration, whatever) purposes?

• fief acres claimed and used   3 years 4 weeks ago

The 'non-claimed' areas of larger fiefs - i.e. areas not subinfeuded as part of a manor or other estate - are technically part of that larger fief.

Your intuition that these areas of land are generally used by miners, foresters, hunters and others marginal in society is generally correct.

What rights exist in terms of the use of this non-subinfueded land depends on the particular jurisdiction. For instance in many feudal lands, mining rights are a Crown prerogative; it is the Crown that grants mining licences. But this is not always the case: in Shôrkýnè mining is a prerogative of each Count (Málnîr); while in Emélrenè the situation is even more complex; mining rights are Crown prerogative in some areas, but not within Émhlè (Free Eméla) ranges...

So, as always, the answer to your question is... it depends :)

• fief acres claimed and used   3 years 4 weeks ago

So, as always, the answer to your question is... it depends :)

• fief acres claimed and used   3 years 4 weeks ago

Paul - it has always been known that only a proportion of a fief is actually used productively; whether for arable, pasture or other forms of agriculture. We simple explicitly included this data in the statistics, because the maps are now much more accurate, it is possible to measure both the 'used' area and the unused areas.

• So many new maps   3 years 6 weeks ago

Yup, that's what I meant. And solution provided. Thanks.

Easier is better. I'm just suffering from the dissonance between this frp world and modern technology. It's a good thing.

• So many new maps   3 years 6 weeks ago

Yup, that's what I meant. And solution provided. Thanks.

• So many new maps   3 years 6 weeks ago

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "simplified PC copy" unless you mean "version that doesn't show the cool stuff". If so, then just use Adobe Reader to open the multi-layered version and turn off whatever layers you don't want the players to see. Also, you might want to turn off the color V&R layer and turn on the grayscale V&R layer.

Robin and I did have a go around about the Special Features layer, where I argued that it should be two layers, distinguishing between stuff in plain sight and stuff that wasn't. But once KP got around to releasing the current series of maps, I ended up going Robin's route because it was just easier to keep track of.

• So many new maps   3 years 6 weeks ago

• So many new maps   3 years 6 weeks ago

Timing of the sale could literally not having been better for me. I haven't yet digested the Venarive stuff I bought earlier, but had to have the maps now that I'm back from vacation, and lo and behold, I found them on sale. Thanks, KP!

I do like the new maps very much. Perhaps one day, we can link stuff to them like I think Robin originally intended. The layers are fantastic. The use of a robust set of symbols and the core/periphery/tribal areas are great touches. The English names layer really helps those of us still learning the jargon. The cropland pattern could perhaps be toned down, perhaps a simple stipple. The marshland is also a bit confusing, especially on the coasts. Cartographic convention on river sizes, coastlines and marshes ought perhaps to be honored a bit more.

I know these maps are geared towards us moderns who run campaigns or build worlds, but one other feature I always appreciated was the free-to-photocopy simplified version for players. Perhaps it's obvious and I am too dense to see how easy it is to do myself, but adding a "simplified PC copy" file to the electronic package would, I think, help many.

I'm sure I will have more, specific comments to come, so please put more value on the positives than negatives above. I am really quite happy!

-Paul

• So many new maps   3 years 6 weeks ago

-Paul

• Is there interest out there in a completed Harnic Tarot, printed or virtual?   3 years 7 weeks ago

Pictures for Harnic tarot Cards would be great! I hope that this project will be done!

As Perin wrote before, we use Tarotry since Robin made his Article and it is much fun and there were many twists in gameplay because our "divinatory skills"!

• So many new maps   3 years 8 weeks ago

The advantage of a subscription is that you know how many buyers there will be for sure. The disadvantage is probably the lower return - in a product, that probably runs on enthusiasm anyway.

But as the software does not offer it, do not waste time better spend on mapping in an attempt to make this work.

An option to award those who buy any map as soon as available could be a lower price for a limited time, like 20% for the first week. You just need to change the price and entry manually. On another note, any money will likely be needed and 20% of a 6$-map will be around 1.20$, so not likely breaking or making a buy anyway.

As a map junky I do not expect any rewards - I get my stuff early and thats sufficient for me - as long as I get my monthly doese of map at all :-)

• So many new maps   3 years 8 weeks ago

• So many new maps   3 years 9 weeks ago

Lawrence, We've thought about some sort of Atlas Kelestia subscription but the devil is in the implementation. The KP store software doesn't allow for any sort of "auto ship" option, and the only other option I've been able to think of is "pay in advance". But again, the store software is limited, so we'd have to charge some sort of set amount and then manually update each subscriber's account whenever a new issue is released. My experience is that this is a pain, as I've been doing this for one person who accidentally double-ordered a large bunch of issues.

That said, we have just added three new discounted Atlas Kelestia bundles to the store, gathering them in annual collections. The 2011 and 2012 collections are currently 15% off the total individual issues prices, and the 2013 collection 12%. You will still have to download the issues individually.

• So many new maps   3 years 9 weeks ago