• Venârivè: Northwestern Lýthia is published!   8 years 6 weeks ago

Great job guys! I'm really impressed with what I've been able to go through so far. Still digesting and will be for some time.

One thing though that I hoped would be in the module but wasn't. The royal arms for Emelrene. Am I missing it? And if not is it possible to give the blazon, if it exists?

Thanks,
    Richard

• Venârivè: Northwestern Lýthia is published!   8 years 6 weeks ago

Thanks,
    Richard

• Firis & Points East   8 years 6 weeks ago

SK: The organization which experimented on Kiba/River is trying to "do good." Specifically, it seeks to preserve/advance a stable society for the betterment of all, even if doing so means taking the occasional ruthless action. I think this fits what Parliament (or at least an influential cabal therein) is trying to do in the Firefly/Serenity universe like a blue glove . . . and it's also almost word-for-word what the SK article defines his church's mission to be.

And I think I figured out how to make the Gargun into SK's fault: Lothrim was a renegade SK priest, trying to rush the creation of a truly ordered society, centuries or even millenia ahead of it's time. This view makes him a messianic leader, in the mold of Jim Jones and Marshall Applewhite. He knew what was "right" and was going to make sure it happened, no matter what.

NOTE: I had to google Applewhite's name, BTW. Just so you know I'm not some death cult groupie. :)

FIREFLY/LORKIN: I don't like the type of boat chosen. A Firefly is a highly-maneuverable boat, whereas a dak/cog (with single square mainsail and almost-square hull) is a slug. Even though it's a bit modern (dating from the 1400s rather than the 1300s), I think a two- or three-masted caravel makes a much more Firefly-like option. On such a boat, Kayly/Kaylee's main task becomes changing the sail-rig between agile-but-relatively-low-powered lateen sails (for inshore work) and clumsy-but-relatively-high-powered square sails (for ocean crossings) as needed.

• Firis & Points East   8 years 6 weeks ago

It was one of Kerry Mould's Friends, Foes and Followers, available on Lýthia.com. Here ya go:

It comes with details of the Dak "Lorkin" - the Kèthîran incarnation of the Firefly herself...

• Venârivè errata - fixed   8 years 6 weeks ago

Hi everyone

These issues have now all been fixed.

If you have already purchased Venârivè, please feel free to download an updated version.

All new downloads will have these fixes included.

Regards

• Venârivè errata - fixed   8 years 6 weeks ago

Hi everyone

These issues have now all been fixed.

All new downloads will have these fixes included.

Regards

• Firis & Points East   8 years 6 weeks ago

I find the idea of recasting Firefly on to Harn to be highly amusing as I am a big fan of both. Please link the site you found!

• Firis & Points East   8 years 6 weeks ago

Wow - I think your definition of 'neutral good' is a tad different from mine! This was always a problem with "alignment" - there are huge (IRL) questions around what "good" and "evil" mean, and even "law" and "chaos" can be interpreted in radically different ways. Overall, I'm glad HârnMaster ditched the concept...

• Firis & Points East   8 years 6 weeks ago

I downloaded (from another site . . .) a bit of fan-fic which recasts the crew from Joss Whedon's Firefly TV show onto Harn.

I found it very interesting. But the author has the organization who messed with River be The Order Of The Crimson Dancer. Eh? When did they get involved in manipulating society from behind the scenes? And why would a wealthy family send a daughter off to be schooled by AGRIKANS?!

Much better: a school run by SK's church (which rarely accepts even lay adherents, let alone non-adherents) approaches a wealthy family with the offer of a place for their exceptional daughter . . . who's proving impossible to marry off, as she intimidates every acceptable suitor who applies. The Tams jump at the chance.

Yep. My SK is still NG. His church re-builds "River" into an assassin, in Service to the Greater Good. Just as the Operative preaches to Mal, in "Serenity."

Now . . . how to make the Gargun SK's fault . . . hmmm. :)

• Firis & Points East   8 years 6 weeks ago

Now . . . how to make the Gargun SK's fault . . . hmmm. :)

• Character Generation   8 years 6 weeks ago

Not only was that a good occupation table, but you can also extract a good bit of demographic information from it. Maybe that data is elsewhere and I missed it, but I don't recall ever seeing it compiled so precisely. Talk about making settlement generation easier!

Highly recommended - thank you, Jeremy!

• Character Generation   8 years 6 weeks ago

Highly recommended - thank you, Jeremy!

• Venârivè errata - fixed   8 years 6 weeks ago

Thanks Ian...

Even with all the hours of checking and reviewing, we knew there would be some slips... Thanks for taking the time to point these out.

We will get right on to addressing them. Once they are incorporated, I will let everyone know, and you will be able to re-download the updated file.

PS - if anyone else spots a typo, please feel free to email me - fastred AT mac DOT com

J

• Venârivè errata - fixed   8 years 6 weeks ago

Thanks Ian...

J

• Firis & Points East   8 years 6 weeks ago

TULWYNI: In submitting my previous posts, I had to re-read the Tulwyn article twice, before I noticed:

"Tolls collected are taken to the overchief who divides them fairly among the tribes."

Followed a bit later by:

"Even the great seasonal caravans exchange gifts with the Tulwyni who will usually must a force thirty leagues from Taztos to intercept them for this purpose."

Note that only one force is mustered for each seasonal caravan, with the toll collected distributed "fairly among the tribes." Thus, there would likely be effects on Tulwyn internal politics only if the specific distribution changes. Is the distribution based on which and how much of a particular tribe's lands are crossed? Or is it based on some other factor (such as the tribe's ranking relative to other tribes)? If the latter applies - very likely or else the lead Kirandar tribe would get NONE of the loot (per the tribal range map in the Tulwyn article, which shows the Salt Route lying completely outside its range) - there is no risk of internal upheaval.

Also - by the same map - the new route hardly crosses the "heart" of Tulwyn territory. The current route crosses the territory of 10 of the 29 sovereign tribes. The new one crosses the territory of only 5 tribes or even just 3 (if the Farin is used to complete the last leg upstream to Trobridge, with a tow-path along the eastern bank). Of course, one of these is the lead Kirandar tribe but the crossing is through the narrowest and hilliest extent of their range (rather than it's "heart").

THARDAN - To my mind, this is the most likely the source of the reason a shorter route has not been developed yet. Moleryn is the capital of Ramala Province; routing the caravan elsewhere would severely reduce the lucrativeness of the post. Of course, it would likewise *increase* the lucrativeness of other posts (namely Firis and Estane, the latter of which must currently be very minor, in Lucrativeness Rankings). So changing the route would depend upon finding a Senator with the right mixture of craftiness and patience. Such a paragon could bargain himself into possession of these seemingly-minor posts without being too obvious about it, at the same time that he arranges a quiet deal with the Mercantyler's Guild to possibly re-route their flatboats at some future date . . . and hires the PCs to secretly build him a trail 15-20 leagues in length (with most of it through hilly wilderness), negotiating it with the Tulwyn as they go.

Followed a bit later by:

• Firis & Points East   8 years 6 weeks ago

I don't have access to the interactive map (still too poor).

But the Gargun information in Harndex says they generally have a hunting radius of two to three map hexes around the marked site. The new route is rather a bit further away than this.

While the occasional swarm would be a danger (these seem able to reach the heart of the Tulwyn range), Gargun patrols or hunting parties probably aren't. Like the other poster said, there's an entire Tulwyn sovereign tribe (the Mylmoc) between Korego and the new route. Even if the Gargun stick to the heights (which the Tulwyn avoid) on the way southwest, they would still need to come down through foothills controlled by another sovereign tribe (the Tuga) before reaching the new route.

• Firis & Points East   8 years 6 weeks ago

I don't have access to the interactive map (still too poor).

• Venârivè: Northwestern Lýthia is published!   8 years 6 weeks ago

I spent way too much time on the weekend with the interactive Venarive map open and the printed module in my other hand cross referencing locations and plotting campaign ideas.

• Venârivè: Northwestern Lýthia is published!   8 years 6 weeks ago

• Character Generation   8 years 6 weeks ago

Crickey, that was a good table. Recommend anyone else have a look and give it some thought.

Allan