• Harn Regional Maps - Discussion   6 years 22 weeks ago

Gothmog

The download zip file has the following contents:

• the multi-layered PDF map
    • the PDF index of the locations / entries on the map

I don't know what the 'macros' file you are referring to is? I haven't struck this before.

• Harn Regional Maps - Discussion   6 years 22 weeks ago

Question about the down load file. You get the pdf of the map, a pdf of the map key and a macros file, which has another pdf of the map... this one does not open. Is that correct? or do I have some sort of problem?

• Harn Regional Maps - Discussion   6 years 22 weeks ago

• Role Playing versus Roll Playing   6 years 25 weeks ago

In my campaign I certainly require the oratory/rhetoric rolls, but I also 'require' a modicum of role-play as well. Basically my players have the following options (and I've really never been disappointed by their behavior with it):

1) They attempt to role-play and then roll the appropriate skill.
    or
    2) They do not attempt to role-play and then roll the appropriate skill.

Players experienced with my GM style *always* choose the first option, as role-playing through an encounter/discussion/what-have-you opens up all kinds of possibilities. Most importantly the real-world consequence of actually discovering information you didn't know before. :-) Players that _don't_ choose the role-play option merely make their roll and then I, possibly passive-aggressively (lol), simply let them know the simple result (e.g. "He agrees to help." or "They seem impressed."). Whereas if they DO role-play the person they are speaking with may (gasp!) respond to actual questions that come up, let information spill, or use information the player gives them to actually suggest new options. After all, that is what people do.

In addition, if they attempt option-1 I let the roll stand with no modifiers. Even a poor role-play performance can still allow an exchange of information that could be useful to both myself and the players.

In addition, if they do a good job (are clever, or do a better job of role-playing that I expected from them) I may give a special +5 to +10 bonus to their roll.

On the other hand, if they choose the 2nd option, I always reserve the right to impose a minor (-5) EML penalty. If I don't impose the penalty then I generally invoke the passive-aggressive penalty... in one case a player of mine wanted to tell the story of their adventures to a local tavern keeper to earn a discount. He didn't want to 'go through the trouble' of role-playing so I let him roll normally. Later that night the constable showed up asking about his story - especially since the tavern keeper was alarmed at method the party used to get their last pay-check! The player complained that he 'wouldn't have told that part of the story!'... and I responded that "you told me that you wanted to explain what you did last night. Perhaps next time you should tell him yourself, so I don't have to guess 'what you meant'." He is now a great role-player - a result well worth the glares I received for a few hours. ;-D

This also has the side-benefit of both encouraging them to improve their role-play skills *and* put development into their skill. After all, a GREAT role-play performance with a MF (or worse) on the roll can still exchange needed information... it's just that their character may have emphasized wrong words or misspoke at an inopportune time.

• Role Playing versus Roll Playing   6 years 25 weeks ago

1) They attempt to role-play and then roll the appropriate skill.
    or
    2) They do not attempt to role-play and then roll the appropriate skill.

• Role Playing versus Roll Playing   6 years 25 weeks ago

Hi,

there are two problems at the same time.

Your player, who is playing a priest, did choose a wrong character for his style of play. I would suggest your player to make another character that is more fun for him. In my opinion it’s not good for the gameplay if one reduces a priest to the rituals and skills. The problem
    with roleplaying is that it is a communicative game. You can act like a strong hero in pen and paper, but not as a scholar if you don’t have the skill in real life. If you want to be fair to your player you should do what ensures most of the fun for him and that is definitely NOT talking very much. If he/she plays a hunter or a mercenary or a tacit(!) scholar with no rethoric skills he will be more satisfied.

Your rethoric skilled player with low ML in rethoric and oratory should roll for rethoric/oratory/intrigue before any action involving this skills. He maybe should roll it visible to all other players. Then he could act like his roll was, if he achieved a MF, then he could put in a slight mistake, if achieving a CS he could act as in real life. If he plays like his roll in your opinion, he gains a development roll for the applicable skill. If things go well your player will have fun with his character despite his low level in rethoric and he will learn ingame very quickly.

If you try to use this system with your player priest, you should grant some hints during his “speech” like “you should adress the lord with ‘Sire’ ”. But it is very very difficult to guide a calm player to an eloquent speaker. See above what I would do….

• Role Playing versus Roll Playing   6 years 25 weeks ago

Hi,

there are two problems at the same time.

• Role Playing versus Roll Playing   6 years 25 weeks ago

Then it would come down to series of dice rolls, so a few examples of a "TYPICAL" exchange would go something like these examples:

PC: Our characters wander into town to see what is going on
    GM: Make intrigue roll to find out what is happening...

PC: We want to purchase some supplies, food, ale, etc., from the inn
    GM: Make Rhetoric Roll to find out how much the innkeeper charges you...

PC: We want to try an convince the people in the inn's common room that we are great warriors with stories of our adventures
    GM: Make an Oratory Roll to determine their reactions...

PC: I attack the thug with my sword
    GM: Make a Sword Roll...

Typically, examples #1 & #3 I see as prime Role Playing opportunities for the PCs, helping to tell the story of their adventure; example #4 I see as a pretty much straight forward (Combat) Roll Play opportunity, and example #3, I see could land somewhere in the middle.

I agree that a player has try and play his character according to his stats, skills, and attributes; but embellishments, stories telling, and NPC interactions are a staple of Role-Playing Games (at least I hope), and while not wanting to punish a shy player for not "Talking it up" is not good, nor is punishing the not-shy player for having to "Talking it down".

So you see my dilemma, when the players just tell me I use my intrigue skill to determine what is going on the town, my response to them is; "How are you using it?" They look a me and reply "I don't know, I just roll against the skill". Or one player gets up and in front of the baron tells of the party's adventures and how they had help the baron's cause... closely followed by others players saying "Ditto"

• Role Playing versus Roll Playing   6 years 25 weeks ago

PC: Our characters wander into town to see what is going on
    GM: Make intrigue roll to find out what is happening...

PC: We want to purchase some supplies, food, ale, etc., from the inn
    GM: Make Rhetoric Roll to find out how much the innkeeper charges you...

GM: Make an Oratory Roll to determine their reactions...

PC: I attack the thug with my sword
    GM: Make a Sword Roll...

• Role Playing versus Roll Playing   6 years 25 weeks ago

Because very, very few players and GMs would NOT default to a character's ML in Sword if the character were to strike the same Lord in your example (and not rely on the player's knowledge of swordsmanship), I think you should clearly default to the character's ML in Oratory were the same character to make a speech to the Lord.

Now, you might offer a +10 special bonus to a character for the player's role playing--in EITHER the Sword or the Oratory situation--for especially entertaining or creative ideas.

Frankly, it's bad role playing for your Player A (whose character is a poor speaker) to role play his character as having exceptional Oratory. If the player is such a good role player, suggest he or she try to role play as boorish or tongue-tied.

I would under no circumstances punish a shy player's character (high in Oratory) for the player's own communicative short-comings. You wouldn't punish a player's mighty warrior because the player is small/weak/clumsy?

• Role Playing versus Roll Playing   6 years 25 weeks ago

• Updates and Errata   6 years 26 weeks ago

Hi

We are currently nearing completion of Venârivè, which covers all of NW Lythia in quite a bit more detail than has ever been done before. This will include some new insights on the place of Hârn in the wider world.

We have issued Robin's 'updated' map of Hârn - what many see as his 'masterwork'. See the "Hârn Interactive Regional Map".

Hope this helps.

Regards

---------------------
    Fástred na Beréma,
    Rowánti na Sávè-k’nôr

• Updates and Errata   6 years 26 weeks ago

Hi

Hope this helps.

Regards

---------------------
    Fástred na Beréma,
    Rowánti na Sávè-k’nôr

• Question about Counterstrike   6 years 27 weeks ago

I stand corrected. :-)

But, in my defense, we were talking about ~defensive~ ratings, yes? Anyone choosing to block an attack with **THEIR HEAD** probably deserves to simply use the ignore table. Same probably is true for taburis, but to a much lesser extent.

Good eye, though. I missed those items when I made my cursory check earlier. Having those items in mind is certainly useful, as many of us use the defense values for counter-striking.

Of course we could still say that people who opt to counterstrike WITH THEIR HEAD probably deserve what they get as well. :-D

• Question about Counterstrike   6 years 27 weeks ago

I stand corrected. :-)

• Question about Counterstrike   6 years 28 weeks ago

Head/Gore/Bite; Knife; Taburi. All on the naughty list.

• Question about Counterstrike   6 years 28 weeks ago

Head/Gore/Bite; Knife; Taburi. All on the naughty list.

• ToC and/or Index   6 years 28 weeks ago

• ToC and/or Index   6 years 28 weeks ago

• ToC and/or Index   6 years 28 weeks ago

I have put together an index and table of contents collection for the principle Chélemby publications:

* Kingdom of Chélemby
    * Chélemby: City of the Sea Kings
    * Evánekin
    * Kolâdis

It is available here: http://www.kelestia.com/files/Cheler_Index_100.pdf

It will be updated as further Chélemby publications are released.

Regards

---------------------
    Fástred na Beréma,
    Rowánti na Sávè-k’nôr

• ToC and/or Index   6 years 28 weeks ago

* Kingdom of Chélemby
    * Chélemby: City of the Sea Kings
    * Evánekin
    * Kolâdis

It is available here: http://www.kelestia.com/files/Cheler_Index_100.pdf

It will be updated as further Chélemby publications are released.

Regards

---------------------
    Fástred na Beréma,
    Rowánti na Sávè-k’nôr

• ToC and/or Index   6 years 28 weeks ago

I am actually using a printed copy. I do use a computer when I gm, but I find flipping between my gm software and among various documents to be very tedious, so I try to use printed forms of documents as much as I can when playing. And I can lay out the printed book on the table in front of me while still using the computer with neither interfering with the other.

Now if there was a way to print the bookmarks, then that would certainly do what I need. :)

• ToC and/or Index   6 years 28 weeks ago

• Legend for Internal Maps   6 years 29 weeks ago

Is there a legend for the 'modern style' of internal maps available somewhere? If not, I think it would make a great download...

• Legend for Internal Maps   6 years 29 weeks ago